Johnny Depp is another of My Fave Celebrities.
- NAME: John Christopher Depp II
- OCCUPATION: Film Actor, Director
- BIRTH DATE: June 09, 1963 (Age: 49)
- EDUCATION: Loft Studio Los Angeles
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Owensboro, Kentucky
BEST KNOWN FOR
Johnny Depp is an award-nominated actor known for his portrayal of odd-ball characters including Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean.
Actor Johnny Depp was born June 9, 1963 in Owensboro, Kentucky. After several small roles, Depp landed his first legitimate movie role in the film Nightmare on Elm Street (1984).Afterwards, Depp started studying acting. The lessons paid off in 1987, when he landed a role on the TV show 21 Jump Street. He has since starred in and recieved award nominations for several popular films.
Born John Christopher Depp, Jr. in Owensboro, Kentucky, on June 9, 1963, to parents John and Betty Sue Depp. Johnny’s father worked as a civil engineer, and his mother came from full-blooded Cherokee stock, and worked as a waitress and homemaker. The youngest of four children, Depp was withdrawn and a self-admitted oddball. “I made odd noises as a child,” he later revealed in an interview. “Just did weird things, like turn off light switches twice. I think my parents thought I had Tourette’s syndrome.”
Johnny and his family moved frequently to accommodate his father’s job, finally landing in Miramar, Florida, when Johnny was seven years old. The family lived in a motel for nearly a year, until his father found a job. Depp hated his new home and, by the age of 12 began smoking, experimenting with drugs, and engaging in self-harm due to the stress of family problems. “Puberty was very vague,” he has said. “I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.”
In 1978, when Depp was 15, Johnny’s parents divorced. As the youngest of four, it became Johnny’s job to go to his father’s office and pick up the weekly child-support money. The split caused a rift between Johnny and his father.
At 16, Depp dropped out of high school and joined the garage band, The Kids. The group became successful enough to open for the Talking Heads and the B-52s, but they barely made ends meet. Depp lived for months in a friend’s ’67 Chevy Impala.
Introduction to Acting
In 1983, at the age of 20, Johnny met and married 25-year-old makeup artist Lori Allison. That same year, the couple moved to L.A. with Depp’s band in the hopes of striking it big. Still living on a shoestring budget, Depp and his band mates supported themselves by selling pens for a telemarketing firm.
A year later, Depp fell into acting when his wife introduced him to her ex-boyfriend, actor Nicolas Cage. Cage saw potential in Depp, and introduced the hopeful musician to a Hollywood agent. After several small roles as a film extra, Depp landed his first legitimate movie role in the horror film Nightmare on Elm Street (1984). By 1985, the Kids had broken up—and so had Depp’s marriage. After his split with Allison, Depp met actress Sherilyn Fenn, whom he met on the set of the short film, Dummies (1985). The couple dated, and were briefly engaged, but split shortly after. After their break-up, Depp then met and proposed to actress Jennifer Grey; their romance was also short-lived.
Depp started to study acting in earnest, first in classes at the Loft Studio in Los Angeles and then with a private coach. The lessons paid off in 1987, when he replaced actor Jeff Yagher in the role of undercover cop Tommy Hanson in the popular Canadian-filmed TV series 21 Jump Street. The role thrust Depp into almost immediate stardom. Johnny Depp became a teen idol overnight; a title that he greatly resented. When his contract on Jump Street expired in 1989, he leapt at the opportunity.
- Johnny Depp: Jump Street (celebmancrushblog.com)
- Johnny Depp Plays Daddy at School Event (justjared.com)
- Recommending: Burton/Depp Collabs (imthatkay.wordpress.com)
- Depp wants pirate Keith to return (bigpondnews.com)
- Johnny Depp Hangs Out With His New Best Friend, An Eagle [PHOTOS] (socialitelife.com)
- Johnny Depp In Talks For Wally Pfister-Helmed ‘Transcendence’ (deadline.com)
- Johnny Depp Packs On The Warpaint In ‘Lone Ranger’ (mix965houston.cbslocal.com)
- Johnny Depp Taps Keith Richards For ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ Return (movieline.com)
- Joven de 15 años acusado de matar a muchacha en autobús … – El Nuevo Herald (elnuevoherald.com)
- Nuevas imágenes del conflicto entre Gaza e Israel – BBC Mundo (bbc.co.uk)